The palace of Queen Margrethe II features four different buildings arranged around a cobbled patio. Get a flavor of royal life by seeing the Changing of the Guard and visiting the palace’s museum.
Amalienborg’s four buildings were intended as palaces for four wealthy families but, when Christiansborg Slot burned down in 1794, Christian VII bought one of four palaces and made it his residence. Designed by Nicolai Eigtved, Christian VII’s Palace is famed for its Great Hall, which contains superb Rococo woodcarvings and stucco décor. Since 1885, the palace has been utilized largely for royal guests and ceremonial functions. Check online for tour times.
Did You Know?
The Changing of the Guard happens here every day at noon.
The name Amalienborg really alludes to an earlier palace, built in 1669 by Frederick III for his young bride Sophie Amalie. The existing complex is noteworthy for being made up of four palaces. These are Christian VII’s Palace, Christian VIII’s Palace, Frederick VIII’s Palace and Christian IX’s Palace. The equestrian statue of Frederick V in the plaza apparently cost as much as the entire complex.