The C L David Foundation and Collection was established in 1945 by Christian Ludvig David (1878–1960), a lawyer who founded this museum with the intention of sharing his magnificent collection of art, furniture, and crafts. After his family had lived there for a century, David’s great-grandfather purchased the property in 1811 and held onto it until his death in 1960. David bought the property in 1917. In 1986, the foundation acquired the neighboring structure at Kronprinsessegade 32.
The museum’s large collection of Islamic art, which includes works from Spain, Persia, India, and other countries, is its claim to fame. Silks, pottery, jewelry, and old daggers with jewel inlays are a few of the numerous treasures, some of which date as far back as the 7th century. Along with some furniture from the 18th century made in England, France, and Germany, the museum also has a modest collection of Danish paintings and sculpture. A collection of Danish silver from the 17th and 18th centuries is also shown. To learn more about the texts in the Islamic collection, visitors are invited to borrow an info-tablet and an audio guide free of charge from the reception.