Fredensborg Slot

To celebrate the 1720 peace pact between Sweden and Denmark after the conclusion of the Nordic Wars, Frederick IV erected Fredensborg Castle (Fredensborg means “Palace of Peace”). The structure’s initial use was as a hunting lodge. Today, the castle serves as one of the royal family of Denmark’s primary palaces and is often used to host dignitaries from across the globe. Guests who spend the night at the palace are required to write their names with a diamond pen on a glass window.

The initial plan for the castle was based on structures comparable to those in France and Italy. There are now 28 distinct buildings that make up the complex. Kuppelsalen, or the Dome Hall, sits in the center of the structure and is topped with a lantern-topped dome. This majestic chamber is utilized for royal occasions and entertaining distinguished visitors. It is surrounded by a gallery that splits the hall into two floors.

Havesalen (the Garden Chamber), which has a large entrance opening to the castle gardens, is the most intriguing room in the palace. Hendrik Krock’s picture of Denmark and Norway pleading with the Olympian gods for assistance in their battle with Sweden is shown on the ceiling of the building.

The elaborate Kinesisk Spisesalon (Chinese Dining Room), which is adorned in red and yellow and has a collection of rare Chinese china, is another noteworthy space.

The grounds around the palace were built in the 1760s, and one of its lanes is embellished with 70 sculptures by J. G. Grund depicting Norwegian and Faroese fisherman and farmers. A 1995-built greenhouse protects cold-sensitive plants from the frigid weather, including a 250-year-old myrtle bush.

Be aware that only the royal family is permitted access to the palace, orangery, and herb garden. They only operate in July and the first few days of August as a consequence. It is required to take a tour, which lasts 35 minutes and departs every 15 minutes.

Table of Contents