The Vikings first settled at Kalundborg, one of Zealand’s oldest settlements, in the ninth century. Pirates formerly made use of the town as a base, but in 1168 a castle was erected and the crown took possession of the fjord’s waters.
All that is left of the castle are the ruins at Volden Square. Esbern Snare, Bishop Absalon’s brother, was its constructor. The 12th-century Vor Frue Kirke (Church of Our Lady), which has five octagonal towers and a Byzantine style based on a Greek cross, was also built by Snare.
The church is surrounded by the historic area of Kalundborg, which has houses from the 16th century and cobblestone streets. The Kalundborg Museum is housed in one of them. The majority of the displays focus on local history and include a collection of costumes and the remains of two Vikings who were decapitated. A replica of Kalundborg that is standing in the museum’s courtyard offers a look at the town’s layout in the 17th century.