Marmorkirken

Many tourists get the impression that the Baroque Frederikskirken, also known as Marmorkirken or the Marble Church, was inspired by St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome by the size of its enormous dome. The church bears Frederik V’s name because the monarch wished to create a new neighborhood in Copenhagen called Frederiksstaden with the church at its center to commemorate his family’s 300 years of Danish sovereignty. The church was to be built out of marble that was imported from Norway when construction first started in 1749. (hence its alternative name). However, it soon became clear that the expense of such an endeavor would beyond the treasury’s financial capabilities, and in 1770, construction was abandoned.

The structure was finished a century later with Danish marble, which was simpler to get. One of the biggest domes in all of Europe, it is the church’s most noticeable feature. The bell tower’s 260 steps can be climbed by guests. A gorgeously decorated altar and frescoes by Danish painters may be found within the church. Danish saints and intellectuals are commemorated by sculptures that surround the structure outside.

Table of Contents