A 12th-century church in the little town of Nørre Jernløse, some 25 kilometers (16 miles) west of Roskilde, features paintings from the 16th century. The town’s 19th-century windmill, however, which is situated on a robust octagonal foundation encircled by a peculiar gallery, is what is most famous about it.
Sankt Peders Mølle was the name of the Dutch-style windmill that was constructed in 1853 at Nørrevold, a town close to Copenhagen. When the mill’s owners were forced to sell it due to financial troubles, Niels Peter Rasmussen, a miller, purchased it. He then disassembled the mill and carried it in parts to Jernløse, located 70 km (43 miles) away. Ole Martin Nielsen purchased it in 1899, and his family utilized and cared for it for the next 60 years. Finally, the parish of Jernløse received the windmill in 1979. The mill, made of stone and wood, features a cupola made of wood that resembles an onion on top of its shingled roof. Its sails could originally be controlled directly from the gallery and were once cloth-covered. Visitors may learn about the mill’s history and early techniques for making flour at its information center.