Since 1586, Saint Peter’s has served as the primary church for the German-speaking neighborhood of Copenhagen. Although portions of the current church, in the center of the Latin Quarter, are from the 15th century, records of a church formerly standing on the site go back to the 13th century, making it one of the city’s oldest structures. Several fires and the British bombardment of 1807 both caused it to sustain significant damage. The 18th-century copper-clad spire, however, managed to withstand the British bombardment, and many of the bricks used in the reconstruction work are from the original edifice. The sepulchral chapel, which extends from the church and has several graves and epitaphs, mostly from the 19th century, is particularly interesting (there is an admission charge for the chapel). On the exterior wall, there are a few intriguing memorial tablets for the deceased.