Selsø Slot

This estate has a long history that began in the 12th century. Records indicate that Bishop Absalon grew interested in the location about 1170, and by 1228 an opulent home had been constructed there. Built in 1578 and renovated in 1734, the manor house’s initial Renaissance design was largely altered with Baroque accents. After being abandoned in 1829, the home stood vacant for 144 years (except from the dogs, birds, and bees maintained there by a gamekeeper). It currently serves as a museum and provides tourists with a glimpse into early 1800s aristocratic life. The Grand Ballroom in particular conceals a more opulent interior from the castle’s stern, unassuming appearance. It is often used as a location for classical music performances and has original marble panels and a lavishly painted ceiling. The castle vaults also serve to commemorate historical occasions.

The property’s closeness to Selsø Lake and Roskilde Fjord is largely responsible for its allure. The lake was designated as a nature reserve, making it one of Denmark’s top locations for birding. By the lake, an observation tower was constructed with this objective in mind.

Table of Contents