The center of Roskilde has historically been this little area next to the major promenade. There were local fairs held there throughout the Middle Ages. The Romanesque Sankt Laurence church was destroyed in the sixteenth century to make room for the expanding marketplace. Today, just a few pieces of the church are still visible, notably the tower that now graces the town hall (built in 1884). The cellars of the town hall house what is left of the church foundations. A statue of King Roar and his brother Helge, who is often credited with creating Roskilde, can be located in the plaza.