The cathedral in Copenhagen, Vor Frue Kirke (Church of Our Lady), has a somber appearance and is the third church to be constructed on this location in a row. The first, a Gothic church from the 12th century, was destroyed by fire in 1728, and the second was leveled by British explosives in 1807. (the tower was a favoured target). The current building was created in 1820 and was designed by Christian Frederik Hansen. Bertel Thorvaldsen, a well-known Danish sculptor who also produced the relief of St. John the Baptist above the entry, filled the inside of the building with sculptures, creating a genuine art gallery.
At formal occasions, Queen Margrethe II occasionally appears. The king now sits in the pews with the rest of the congregation instead of in a separate royal box as in the past. Climbing the bell tower allows visitors to see fantastic city views.